In this video, Dr. Gaynor presents a thoroughly engaging lecture about Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). The current working definition of BPD is ‘a pervasive disorder of the emotion regulation system’. Dr. Gaynor outlines how BPD presents differently to ‘normal’ depression and bipolar depression. He talks about common behaviors (addictions, self-harm, acting out) that some people engage in when attempting to regulate the emotional dysregulation caused by BPD. He addresses the reasons that BPD symptoms may develop for an individual and refers to three evidence based treatments: Dialectic Behavioural Therapy (DBT), Mentalisation and Schema Therapy. Dr. Gaynor also stresses the important contribution made by Margaret Linehan, who is considered the leading expert internationally in the field of BPD.
- Marsha Linehan is featured in Time Magazine Special Edition of Great Scientists
- Testimony from Someone with BPD about Recovery
- Living with Anxiety-Video
- Marsha Linehan, creator and founder of DBT featured in special edition of Time Magazine on great scientists of our time
- BPD Awareness Month: Spreading Awareness